" The behaviour of the Spanish state is an outrage to all democrats across Europe. The peaceful and courageous action of millions of Catalans has been an inspiration. But this movement requires international support...
The brutality and repression that has been visited upon the people of Catalonia cannot be allowed to continue, or to be legitimised. Hundreds of Scots have travelled to Catalonia to act as international observers, and to let the Spanish state know that the world is watching. At home, we have organised several demonstrations. News and pictures of these have circulated on Catalan social media, and we know that this has made a positive impact.
But we need to do more. Catalan human rights organisations and social movements have called for international support. That is why we are organising the Catalan Defence Committee Scotland, to help maximise our solidarity efforts. The name mirrors the local referendum defence committees set up by Catalans to defend the referendum process by practising non-violent mass action.
• That the Catalan people have the right to self-determination.
• That the Catalan people are to be congratulated for the popular mobilisation, including protests, strike action, and occupations, that they have undertaken.
• That the deep repressive reflexes of the Spanish state are in part a reflection of its Francoist heritage.
• Call for solidarity demonstrations and actions
• Build diplomatic pressure on the UK government
• Organise motions and letters of support that can be passed through trade union branches, campaigns, political parties and so on.
• Work to twin Scottish towns and cities with Catalonia
• Lobby MSPs and the Scottish Government to do all it can to support the civil rights of Catalans
• Build links with social movements and organisations in Catalonia
• Organise a tour of public meetings across Scotland to raise support and awareness
• Facilitate open organising meetings to develop local defense committees/solidarity actions
Initial signatories...add your name today:
Former Chairperson Scottish Labour
Glasgow University Rector
Writer and Broadcaster
Chair Dundee Trades Council
Former SNP MP
Human Rights Lawyer
Co-convener Scottish Green Party
RISE National Organiser
Columnist for The National
Co-Founder Radical Independence Campaign
Community Party Councillor
Guardian writer and researcher on Catalan politics
Vice Chair Unite the Union BAEM Scotland Committee (pc)
Editor Bella Caledonia
CUP International Relations
Sean Paul O’Connor
President Dundee Students Union
President Abertay Students Union
Catalan student at Glasgow University
SSP International Secretary
SSP National Secretary
Deputy Convenor Unison Scotland (pc)
Scottish Unemployed Workers Network
Upper Clyde Shipyard work-in veteran
Dr Eurig Scandrett
University College Union (pc)
Unite Regional Officer (pc)
Chair Unite Youth Committee (pc)
Castlemilk Against Austerity
Convenor Glasgow Unison Social Work (pc)
RMT Scottish Organiser (pc)
Democratic Left Scotland
Radical Independence Campaign